The “Up Market: Fresh” Experience Will Visit Miami to Celebrate Fresh Foods
Offered at Newly Renovated Well Experience Stores
DEERFIELD, Ill., February 13, 2013 — Walgreens (NYSE: WAG) (Nasdaq: WAG) is embarking on a mobile tasting tour providing samples of its innovative fresh food and refreshments to Miami residents in the celebration of the fresh foods offered at newly renovated Well Experience stores . The Walgreens “Up Market: Fresh” experience will be brought to consumers via a custom-made, 40 foot bus, and will visit select Walgreens Well Experience locations between Feb. 25 – March 3. The “Up Market: Fresh” bus’ daily location and featured sample menu items are shared via Twitter @upmarketfresh.
“Several innovations are making Walgreens the first choice for health and daily living throughout neighborhoods nationwide. Our fresh food offerings provide customers with easier access to a greater selection of fresh foods and beverages,” said Roy Ripak, Walgreens market vice president for South Florida. “The ‘Up Market: Fresh’ experience is a unique way to showcase our commitment to help people get, stay and live well.”
Fifteen Florida Walgreens, five of which are in the Miami area, are part of a company pilot to transform the traditional drugstore into a health and daily living store. The drugstore chain plans to convert dozens more in Florida in 2013, bringing a welcome investment to the region as well as the drugstore chain’s newest health and daily living retail concepts.
Walgreens new shopping format offers a completely revamped pharmacy; fresh fruits, vegetable and other foods; more health clinics staffed by nurse practitioners; an enhanced beauty product assortment and a continuous rotation of seasonal offerings. Each of the stores have been redesigned around customers’ needs and include combinations of the following innovations:
- A pharmacist located in front of the pharmacy, offering a greater opportunity for patient consultation and health care services such as vaccinations and health testing.
- A new Walgreens staff member called a Health Guide, equipped with an iPad and available to answer product and service questions, helps customers navigate the store and their health care options and sign up for events.
- Take Care Clinics, located in a limited number of stores, offer walk-in, accessible and affordable health care services provided by nurse practitioners
- Fresh food, including fruits and vegetables, meats, prepared salads, sandwiches, wraps, take-and-bake pizzas and other on-the-go meal options.
- An enhanced beauty department display featuring prestige and niche cosmetic, skincare and hair care brands not typically found in drugstores.
- Web pickup service that allows customers to shop online and pick up the order at their neighborhood Walgreens
- Express Rx or self-serve touch-screen kiosks that allow patients to quickly pick up and pay for prescriptions refills that they have ordered ahead of time.
The “Up Market: Fresh” bus will be serving free samples of a variety of fresh made beverages to commemorate the fresh food offerings now available at five Miami area Walgreens. Free tastings include:
- Juices — Samples of nutritious, fresh-made juices made from a combination of fresh fruits and vegetables. “Go Green” is a featured juice and is a blend of cucumber, kale, celery, green apple and lemon. One hundred percent natural orange juice will also be sampled.
- Smoothie — The featured smoothie will be Raspberry Dream, which is blended fresh from raspberries, strawberries, bananas and apple cider.
- Café — Visitors can receive free samples of a selection of coffees brewed using the same fresh roasts and barista quality techniques showcased at Walgreens.
Walgreens Well Experience stores feature an extensive collection of innovative offerings, products and services unexpected from a drugstore. In Miami, the recently opened Well Experience stores are located at:
- 15255 SW 137th Ave., Miami
- 11690 SW 72nd St., Miami
- 200 SW 13th St, Miami
- 1751 Bonaventure Blvd, Weston
- 1300 E Hallandale Beach Blvd, Hallandale
As the nation’s largest drugstore chain with fiscal 2012 sales of $72 billion, Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) vision is to become America’s first choice for health and daily living. Each day, Walgreens provides more than 6 million customers the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice in communities across America. Walgreens scope of pharmacy services includes retail, specialty, infusion, medical facility and mail service, along with respiratory services. These services improve health outcomes and lower costs for payers including employers, managed care organizations, health systems, pharmacy benefit managers and the public sector. The company operates 8,061 drugstores in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. Take Care Health Systems is a Walgreens subsidiary that is the largest and most comprehensive manager of worksite health and wellness centers and in-store convenient care clinics, with more than 700 locations throughout the country.